The Design Cohort comprised a group of school-leavers and graduates and helped to co-design and co-create NMITE’s way of learning and shaping the learner experience. These 25 enterprising individuals came from across the UK and international locations to take part in this unique opportunity.
From campus layout to course design, a typical week included a variation of tasks within each group.
The Design Cohort involved the brightest and most diverse talent to examine, create, test-drive and validate ideas to support our aim to become a higher education institution for and of the future.
The Design Cohort have worked on the following areas:
- Trialling and advising on accommodation, designing the flexible academic studios and sourcing furnishings for our buildings to reflect spaces that promote innovation.
- Marketing NMITE’s engagement programme, Ingenuity Studio, and have travelled with the studio to schools and colleges to run engineering workshops.
- Designing an unconventional application processes to ensure that curiosity, creativity and passion are valued in each individual.
- Testing engineering Toolkits to evaluate the benefits of challenged-based learning.
- Building partnerships with local businesses and introducing the presence of young people to various activities in Hereford which in turn, will enhance our community relations.
- Collaborating with the Hereford Museum & Art Gallery to create aspects of the LEGO History Brick Exhibition (occurring March-May 2019).
- Reviewing council plans to make Hereford more suited for the lifestyles of young people and creating short videos to showcase ‘a day in the life’ of a learner at NMITE.
- And on top of all this, they set up NMITE’s very own online radio station called RADIO TOAST ready for the Pioneer Cohort to take over and create their own shows!