We’re very fortunate in the UK – we have our world-famous National Health Service (NHS). All individuals, irrespective of their nationality or immigration status, are eligible to access primary, emergency, and compulsory psychiatric care, free of charge.

National Health Service (NHS)

The NHS (National Health Service) is the UK's state health service which provides treatment for residents through a wide range of healthcare services. There are some eligibility criteria to access NHS healthcare including registering with a General Practitioner (GP) (see below). Discover more about the NHS – they offer plenty of free health advice too.

GP (Doctor) surgery or healthcare centre

A GP (doctor) or ‘doctors’ surgery’ is your first point of contact for medical treatment. Most illnesses and other problems can be treated by your GP, but if you need to see a specialist, the GP will refer you to an appropriate hospital department. 

As well as consultations with a doctor, most GP surgeries and healthcare centres provide a range of community health services, for example, vaccinations, women's health clinics, services for parents of young children, family planning, contraception and sexual health.

We encourage all students to register with a local GP as soon as possible after enrolment. This means you can access healthcare quickly if you become ill or injured. But don’t worry, we’ll support you to do this. 

We recommend students register with Hereford Medical Group. It’s based in the centre of Hereford and located a short distance from the Blackfriars Campus. During your welcome week, representatives from Hereford Medical Group will talk to you about the services they provide and how to register with them. 

UK students under the age of 25 are also advised to be vaccinated against Meningitis (ACWY).

24/7 medical support

If you need medical help, but you're not in a life-threatening situation, you can call the NHS 111 number - for free from a mobile phone or landline. Highly trained advisors, who are supported by healthcare professionals, are available on NHS 111 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  They will provide advice and guidance, and signpost you to other services you might need.

Accident and Emergency (A&E) department

If you need immediate or urgent medical assistance, always telephone 999. This number is free to call, including from mobile phones. For urgent medical assistance, ask for the ambulance service. Be ready to tell the call operator what has happened and exactly where you are. Hereford County Hospital has an Accident and Emergency department also, which you can visit in an emergency. It's open 24 hours a day.

Dental treatment

You should try to have your teeth checked by a dentist at least once a year. Details of local dentists can be found at Dentists near Hereford.

Further information for international students

For detailed information about your eligibility for healthcare and free medical treatment, please read the guidance produced for international students: UKCISA website- Keeping Healthy.

NMITE student support staff member talking to student

Student support and wellbeing

Discover the network of student support and wellbeing services at NMITE - all designed to support you to thrive.

NMITE apply now
Student support and wellbeing

International students

Discover what you need to know as an international student at NMITE - there's plenty on offer.