International & EU Students

Guidance on Applying to NMITE

If you are an international or European Union (EU) student, please read the following guidance which we have prepared to try to help you in your decision about whether or not you can apply to NMITE. It is really important to state that everyone is an individual and your specific position might be different. With this in mind, we recommend two things:

  • Keep an eye on Government guidance: the most accurate and up-to-date resources for information on these topics is the government, specifically: the government’s own website; (b) the British Council; and (c) the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Guidance may differ between higher education providers.  If you have specific questions about whether your status allows you to apply to NMITE, please do get in touch with us.


International Students

NMITE will begin the process of applying for an international sponsorship license in early 2021.  Should we receive the appropriate license, we will notify the NMITE community through a variety of means.

In the interim, to determine whether or not you are an international student, please consider the following definitions:

  • An international student is someone who does not have “settled” status in the UK and would need to apply for a visa to study in the UK. If you do have settled status then you should be able to apply and be admitted to NMITE. Please get in touch with us to confirm 
  • There are many rules and exceptions around being “settled”. In brief, being settled means both being normally living in the UK and not having any immigration restriction on the length of your stay in the UK.

If you fall into any of the following groups, then you will not normally have any restrictions on the length of your stay in the UK:

(i) If you have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE);
(ii) If your passport describes you as as a “British citizen”;
(iii) If you have a Right of Abode in the UK in your passport;
(iv) If you are a citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

  • There are other exceptions which you can learn about here.


EU Students

At the moment, the UK government’s position is that, from August 2021, students from the EU will be classed as international students.

If you are an EU student living in the UK, you may be able to take advantage of the EU Settlement Scheme. Any EU student with pre-settled or settled status will be able to apply to NMITE. The settlement scheme has a number of deadlines and rules. Below are two short definitions which may provide additional insight. A government summary can be found here.  

  • Other groups who can apply for settled status: As well as EU students, if you are an EEA (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein) or Swiss national, then you will also be able to apply for the EU Settlement scheme.  There are also some exceptions which enable you to apply if you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss student and you can read about them here.  If you are successful in gaining settled or pre-settled status then, for EU students, you will be eligible to study at NMITE.
  • Pre-Settled Status: If you are an EU or EEA student who is currently living in the UK but have not lived in the UK for five years continuously by 31 December 2021, then you can apply for pre-settled status.  If you have pre-settled status then you will be eligible to be admitted to NMITE. You may, however, be in a different position regarding accessing student loans. Please see the section on Fees & Financial Support for more details.
Apply Now